English Language Requirements-ESUMER Institución Universitaria
English language proficiency is a requirement for students of ESUMER in the areas of study including; las carreras tecnológicas, ciclos profesionales, and programas de postgrado.
It is the responsibility of ESUMER to provide for its students the tools and pedagogic processes necessary to adequately learn English.
Undergraduates (Pregrados): All undergraduate students should take advantage of the English classes being offered by ESUMER. ESUMER offers four levels of English classes and upon completion of the 4th level, students will have completed the language requirements of ESUMER.
- Placement Test (Examen nivelatorio de inglés)The Placement Test is only offered to new students or students who have not yet received an approved plan of study. The Placement Test is completely free, only offered to students1 time, must be taken no later than15 days after the school semester begins, and will only be accepted with a minimum grade of 3.0.
- Students who take the Placement Test and achieve a level of comprehension higher than the first level offered at ESUMER will be excused from those classes and will be placed in the appropriate level of English classes.
- Students who take the test and have achieved a level of comprehension higher than the four classes offered at ESUMER will be excused from those classes as long as prior permission from the Language Coordinator is given.
- Students who have studied at other language institutes or preparatory academies have to option to achieve accreditation in the following ways:
- Achieve a minimum competency of B1 in an approved examination (See Chart)
- Demonstrate that they have previously taken and successfully completed a program that is equivalent to the number of classes or study hours offered at ESUMER
- Students who have studied in an English speaking country:
- Students who have studied in an English speaking country for a minimum of 6 months and can provide documentation of language competency that meets the requirements of ESUMER will have completed the requirement after meeting with the Language coordinator.
- Students who have studied in an English speaking country for a minimum of 6 months but CANNOT provide documentation will be required to take the Placement Test and will be placed in the appropriate level or excused if they achieve a level of B1
- Students wishing to be excused from the English classesoffered at ESUMER must provide the following documentation:
- Minimum competency of B1. The student must have physical copy of certification when meeting with the Language Coordinator
- If the student has studied at an accredited organization, the certification of language competence must be present when meeting with the Language Coordinator.
- Prueba Saber Pro
- Students that have presented the test can certificate the language competence with a level of B1.
- It is important approach to the Language Coordinator to validate the document.
Postgraduates (postgrados): All postgraduates of ESUMER must be able to demonstrate English language proficiency in order to graduate from the University. Postgraduate students will achieve accreditation upon completion of one of the following options:
- Achieve a minimum competency of B1 in one of the approved tests. (See chart for list of approved tests). The student must have a physical copy of the certification when meeting with the language coordinator.
- The student must achieve a minimum competency of B1 in the Placement test administered by ESUMER. The test is free but can only be taken 1 time and within the first 15 days of the school semester.
- The student may take up to all 4 levels of English classes offered by the University. These courses must be completed at ESUMER.
- If the student has already completed the English Language requirements as an undergraduate (pregrado) at ESUMER, they are considered sufficiently competent and do not need to take a placement test or any more English Classes.